Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer

Appalachian mountain dulcimer players- make friends, share, learn to play- Free!

Autumn asked on another site about people having multiple dulcimers.. so I sat down and figured how many I have.. so lets see how many others have... be honest.. remember we need to keep the dulcimer makers in business...
so here's my list....
I have 18 dulcimers... in no particular order..
1 - Prussia Valley Extended Range - 5 string
2 - HX Dulcimer - "Westy" - a baritone
3 - HX Dulcimer - "Rusty" - standard
4 - Clemmer Tenn. Sweetie Church Sytle
5 - Cedar Creek - Bloodwood - currently loaned to student
6 - Cedar Creek - Wenge - baritone
7 - Cedar Creek - Cherry top 6 string
8 - Cripple Creek - "Wanderer" - currently loaned to a student
9 - McSpadden (kit) - built as College art project in 1979
10 - Church Dulcimer - kit built in the early 80's
11 - Dulcijo -
12 - Unknown Dulcimer - was my father in laws in to me..
13 - Unknown Dulcimer - bought in the 80's - loaned to student
14 - Ozark Mtn Dulcimer (Jim Miller)
15 - Courting Dulcimer - made by myself and my Dad
then in my possesion
16 - Cedar Creek - Purpleheart - my daughters
17 - Unknown Dulcimer - loaned to student
18 - Unknown Dulcimer - loaned to student
and I'm working on getting a few more loaner dulcimers..
remember .... "you can never have to many dulcimers" 

Views: 1646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I )Sassafras teardrop, made from a Dulcimer Factory Kit. Usually tuned DAdd or DGdd
2) Spruce top,Walnut back & sides, Bass model built from a Randy Rich Kit. Currently tuned Daadd in 3 courses,with the bass string 2 octaves below the dd strings. Still trying different stringings/tunings. My younger daughter calls this one Chupacabra, because of it's size.
I never name my instruments, cars, fishing tackle,etc. I did allow my wife to name our daughters and all the pets we've had over the years.
Paul
eight.

Modern Mountain hourglass
A Sweetwood baritone
McSpadden Ginger
McSpadden hourglass
Banjimer
Ron Ewing Dulcimette
Prussia Valley baritone strung to Dad
A galax knockoff. Not a real galax but similar and strung like one.

Nine if I count the Sweetwoods chromatic that may be sold. For a good price too.

Rick Slater said:
eight.

Modern Mountain hourglass
A Sweetwood baritone
McSpadden Ginger
McSpadden hourglass
Banjimer
Ron Ewing Dulcimette
Prussia Valley baritone strung to Dad
A galax knockoff. Not a real galax but similar and strung like one.

Nine if I count the Sweetwoods chromatic that may be sold. For a good price too.

To the chromatic....but you know Rick that Ginger has my name on it tooo LOL
* A kit dulcimer my wife made in Bible Camp many years back that stayed in her mom's closet until I found it. Plays as well as most of my others.
* FolkRoots D-00 #1121856 - short VSL and not a very high fretboard so not suitable for my preferred noter playing. Really sweet sound and fast action though so good for when I want to use fingers.
* Dulcimer Factory #9417979VFI - also a short VSL and my favorite daily player. Strung with unison .010 strings tuned to dddd -- did I mention it's my favorite daily player.
* "Some guy" - hourglass in wormy maple that looks better than it plays. VSL is too long for my comfort.
* Pete Wheeler #572, 1978 - viol shaped and on the kitchen table being brought back to life. Getting new rosewood nut and saddle, a little work on some wood damage, and a new set of strings.
* Dutchman Lake bought on eBay because it looked interesting and very rustic. Plays surprisingly well with a very rustic feel and sound. Design is a bit of a hybrid between a Tennessee Music Box and a mountain dulcimer.
* Burge Searing #08981571K - 11/12 hammered dulcimer. Truly awesome.
* TK O'Brien LH-B lap harp in birch - another way cool instrument that's fun for quiet time.
* pair of Satis Coleman plucked psaltery made by Oscar Schmidt sometime in the early 20th Century. Fascinating instrument.
* collection of plucked fretless zithers from Menzenhaur, Schmidt, JübelTone, et al. in various stages of restoration. A couple 2 1/2 models (5/21 chord zither) that are great players.
* Model 73 Oscar Schmidt autoharp from the 60's

=====
I have a wish list that includes a few customs as soon as I have some extra money.
Sweetwoods Baritone
McSpadden
Clemmer Banjammer
Sweetwoods Chromatic... well... unofficially...but soon it will be mine.
And mystery dulcimer picked up at a flea market

Wow... that's a short list. But hey it works for me. At least for now.

Soon it will be Rick's Ginger one could only hope...lol
I have mostly McSpaddens, mostly Maple. Love the Sustain in the maple and the mellow,gentle voice of the Mc. But really only play one that has that special voice that speaks to me and a sustain that lasts foreverrrrrrrrrrr. LB
McSpadden Maple Custom
McSpadden Maple Custom with inlay
McSpadden Koa Custom
McSpadden Cherry Custom
McSpadden Baritone
McSpadden Ginger
McSpadden Walnut standard-for sale
Bob Magowan Maple Custom
Jerry Cripe Electric Maple
John Maxwell 1973 Traditional Dulcimer
Antique 1850-75 Dulcimer with 61/5 not a 6
Cripple Creek
1975 Hughs Dulcimer Co
2 from ebay no name
While I realize MY ginger is special there are many more.
I have 3 dulcimers, 1 T.K. O'Brien hourglass, 1 Nic Hambas bowed dulcimer and 1 Warren May hourdrop....I have 6 bowed psalteries....does anyone here want to know about those? : ) KIDDING : )
1Cherry hour/drop (Warren May)
1walnut hour/drop baritone (Warren May)
1 dark walnut hour glass (Warren May)
1 Cherry hour glass (Durbin)
1 Cedar top hour glass (Durbin)
1 6 string hour glass (unknown)
1 Cherry hour glass (Hensley)
1 Walnut oblong (Mark Ubank)
1 Ambrosia Maple and purple heart hour glass (Jared Weaver)
Next I want a Clemmer Banjammer and a Homer Ledford on my wish list.
Well I try to keep it down to 2 as I just feel greedy to have more than I can play. Currently I own:
Richard Beard Walnut hourglass with spruce top & planetary tuners (big, modern sound)
Blue Lion 1W - Picked up off Craigslist this weekend. Jury is still out on this one.

I also have in my possession a Larry Barringer all walnut hourglass. This belongs to a freind of mine who is Larry's nephew. I was actually looking for a Barringer without success when I came across the Blue Lion.

I recently sold a Fellenbaum walnut & red cedar hourglass and a Dale Eckard maple & red cedar hourglass. Beard, Fellenbaum, & Eckard are all North Carolina builders. Some day I would like to get a JC Bradshaw (Calico Possum) and maybe a Ben Seymour.
I just added number 9 to the list. Got me a Clemmer Ban-jammer on ebay last night can't wait to get it home. I've been wanting on for a while. Still looking for a Homer Ledford to add to the list and then maybeeee I'll stop. LOL

Heeehehee, Yeah, right Dana,  that's just what I was thinking last August when I got a student dulcimer from Harpmaker for traveling. 

Well, he had the sweetest cherry teardrop at the Heartland Festival in Elizabethtown in November.   Yep, she came home with me.  I love the different sounds you can get using the same woods and shape and cherry is my favorite.   So I have enough dulcimers at 14, but does that mean I'll never get another??????   Hmmm?

Dana R. McCall said:

I just added number 9 to the list. Got me a Clemmer Ban-jammer on ebay last night can't wait to get it home. I've been wanting on for a while. Still looking for a Homer Ledford to add to the list and then maybeeee I'll stop. LOL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

SINGLE INSTRUCTOR WORKSHOPS, Performances, Band Gigs & Special Club Event NOTICES

Offering some special workshops? Performing at a gig? A Dulcimer Club activity? List your SINGLE INSTRUCTOR Special Event or workshop- CLICK HERE!

The Inspired Volunteer FOTMD Welcoming Commitee of the month!

3 CHEERS to members

Jim Fawcett

Karen Keane

John Wood

R N Lacky

Louis Stivali

Kenneth Longfield

Benjamin Barr

John Keane
...For warmly greeting new members and making them feel welcome here on FOTMD!

=============

Visit Strumelia's Beginner Noter-Drone dulcimer Blog

I have a main blog for Traditional style mountain dulcimer playing here: Mountain Dulcimer Noter-drone Blog This is an old style of playing where you only fret your notes on the melody string, while letting the drones strings ring open. In my blog, I express my personal views about playing, I offer free TAB and free beginner videos, and I try to help beginners understand in a very basic simple way the 'mysteries' of playing the mountain dulcimer in traditional modal noter/drone style.

© 2014   Created by Strumelia.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service